Monday, March 2, 2009

Austin


So I didn't place. :( BUT I am still proud of my cake and myself. It was my first competition and I went through with it, my cake made it there in one piece, and I learned a lot. I really didn't know what to expect and I was really worried about making my cake too busy. Turns out I didn't make it busy enough but that's ok. I learned from this and I am going to start preparing now for the McKinney competition that is a month and a half away.

So on the way to Austin I didn't think to put my cake in the center of the back seat...well know I know because the sun had bleached my fondant on one side. I really think that hurt my chances of placing because it just...didn't look right. And my piano keys looked sloppy because they got too soft and when I moved that teir to place on top of the bottom tier the fondant began to slide. Luckily, the next competition is 3 and a half minutes away from home versus 3 and a half hours. I've got some good ideas for the McKinney show. I'm submitting a wedding cake and a novelty cake. I plan to start my novelty this week and hopefully my cake dummies will arrive soon.


The trip was a lot of fun. It was great to see my grandmother and get to send time with my cousin and his girlfriend. We did lots of fun stuff and got very little sleep. I'm hoping the work day flies by today because I am so tired.


Janet posted the pictures of my girls. I don't know how I am going to pick which ones to buy! I love so many of them. She took this one picture of Colbi wearing her sunglass with her pink heart shirt and oh my goodness it is so cute! I love it. I think I'm going to hang some of the pictures in the playroom but I'm not sure yet. I really missed my kids and husband while I was gone but it was a really nice surprise to come home to a house that was nearly spotless.
So...my brother-in-law's cousin is in need of a baby shower cake for a shower she is planning. I am impatiently waiting to see the invitations so I can start designing something. I haven't done a baby shower cake in forever so I am really excited. I'll update once I see her invitations and I have some ideas brewing.

No comments: